It can be exciting sharing your child sponsorship with friends and loved ones, and we encourage you to spread the word! But it’s important to follow some guidelines to keep sponsored children safe and protect their privacy.
The best thing you can do before sharing your sponsorship news is check how to safely share your sponsored child’s information online . It’s a short read that explains what can and can’t be shared online, with simple steps to follow. In most cases, you’re welcome to share updates, photos and videos of your sponsored child and their community via social media.
Some sponsored children live in a country with special rules, meaning their photos can’t be shared online at all – to protect children’s interests and wellbeing. But you can still share updates about their community. If your sponsored child lives in one of these restricted areas, it’ll be noted under their photo on your My World Vision page. If you’re not sure which rules apply to you, please check with us.
What can be shared online (if your sponsored child’s country doesn’t have restrictions):
• photos and videos of your sponsored child and their community provided to you by World Vision (special rules apply for photos you collect during sponsorship visits);
• excerpts of letters and cards from your sponsored child (without last names and addresses);
• your sponsored child’s first name, age, country, language, hobbies, chores and grade level at school; and
• your sponsored child’s general health status (excluding sensitive details).
What can’t be shared online:
• your sponsored child’s surname and sponsorship ID number;
• your sponsored child’s parents’ first names, surnames and occupations
• your sponsored child’s address, school name and address and community name;
• your sponsored child’s height, weight, and specific medical conditions or disabilities;
• your sponsored child’s religion; and
• images that are geotagged to your sponsored child’s location.
This information reveals too much about your sponsored child’s identity and can put them at risk.
If you have any questions about sharing information about your sponsored child, please don’t hesitate to call us on 13 32 40 or chat with us online.