World Vision Australia is a Christian relief, development and advocacy organisation that seeks to transform the lives of the world's most vulnerable children and communities by tackling the causes of poverty.
We see the impacts of climate change and environmental degradation in the countries where we work. This could reverse many of the development gains of recent decades and present challenges for how development work should be carried out in the future. We acknowledge that our activities have an impact on the global environment and that we can modify our operations to reduce our negative environmental impacts and increase our positive environmental impacts. We are committed to improving our environmental performance and reducing our organisational contribution to climate change and environmental degradation.
This policy is applicable to all World Vision Australia employees and volunteers. It applies to all our Australian operations and offices, specifically our office-based activities across Australia and our travel within Australia and flights to international destinations.
We will act on our commitment by:
- Complying with all applicable legal and other environmental requirements
- Reducing or offsetting our greenhouse gas emissions
- Implementing waste minimisation initiatives throughout our organisation
- Minimising our water usage
- Promoting efficient transport solutions for staff commuting and implementing initiatives that reduce our air and fleet transport impacts
- Engaging our staff, volunteers, supporters, suppliers, contractors, interested third parties and the public, in encouraging participation in environmental sustainability
- Going on this journey of reducing our carbon footprint within the World Vision Partnership
- Developing a sustainable procurement policy
Our activities will be based on the principle of continuous improvement and where environmental impacts cannot be avoided, we will mitigate them.