In 2018 research showed Australians spent almost $11 billion on gifts for their friends and family. Thankfully, charitable donations are becoming increasingly popular. Statistics show that 43 percent of people plan to donate, and because of increased environmental awareness 47 percent of Australians will give more sustainable gifts this Christmas.
$11 billion has the power to:
- Provide almost eight million communities with clean water.
- Put more than 78 million girls through school.
- Provide educational and cultural empowerment bundles to the Indigenous population of Australia – seven times over.
- Provide half the population of the African continent with mosquito nets.
The money spent on Christmas decorations alone has the power to:
- Gift more than seven million families with sustainable food for life.
- Help 20 million women start a business.
- Provide emergency shelter to 10 million people fleeing conflict, disaster and poverty.