Until recently, more than 80 percent of people living in this area did not have access to clean drinking water.
Many relied on dirty river water. Or like community member Flossie, were forced to walk long distances and stand in long queues all day at scarce boreholes.
Through donations and child sponsorship, Planetshakers have helped to transform the community of Nkaya, in southern Malawi, improving household incomes and increasing access to education, healthcare, clean water and nutritious food.
As one local put it, “When we say that we would fight to get water, we mean it.”
Flossie could only collect one bucket each time – barely enough for her family’s drinking water. Cooking water came from the river, and her children were constantly sick with diarrhoea as a result.
With Planetshakers’ support, the local World Vision team drilled 35 boreholes and fixed 13 broken ones in villages like Flossie’s. The result? Before, only 20 percent of people had access to safe water. Now, 99.8 percent of people have access – resulting in no cases of cholera or waterborne diseases in the last two years.
Clean water close to home is one of the many wonderful changes this community has experienced. In addition:
- Before only 65 percent of births were attended by a health worker, now 95.6 percent of women are attended by a skilled health worker during labour – saving the lives of both mothers and babies.
- The number of underweight children has dropped from 14.6 percent to 2.6 percent.
- The percentage of school-aged children attending school has jumped from 21 percent in 2008 to 88 percent today.
- 715 households now own goats – a rich source of milk, food, income and manure for crops.
- More than 1,600 community members have joined a village savings group, with total community savings growing by 63.6 percent over the last year.
Inspired by this life-changing work in Nkaya – which will still continue for a number of years – Planetshakers have now reached out to another community in need, and members have begun sponsoring children in the Ngada community in Indonesia.
As we celebrate and give thanks for transformation in Malawi, we look forward to seeing the results of this fruitful partnership with Planetshakers as they unfold in the lives of children in Indonesia.