Are you visiting your sponsored child? We've put together a handy checklist of all the things you might need to know or do before you go, during your visit and after you return.
Before you go:
- Check the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or Smart Traveller websites and talk to your travel
agent for the latest travel advice.
- Confirm your own travel arrangements.
- Visit your GP or travel health clinic for health advice relevant to the country you intend to visit.
- Ensure you have adequate travel insurance.
- Conduct your own research regarding travel to your destination, including cultural expectations.
- 30 days before the visit obtain your National Police Clearance when requested by WVA (required for all visitors aged 16 years and over).
- Complete and return all the other paperwork required (including a visit agreement).
- Recheck the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or Smart Traveller websites just before you leave in case the risk or security rating for your destination has changed. Please note that trips to high-risk areas may be cancelled due to safety reasons.
- Feel free to purchase small gifts for your sponsored child. As your visit plans progress we can advise you on what is appropriate.