We collect personal information about supporters, volunteers, employees, contractors, visitors to our field programs and others. We collect this information when it is necessary for our business purposes.
Most often, we collect personal information about our supporters. Typically, we would ask for your: name, address, telephone number(s), email address(es), payment card information and date of birth.
On occasion, we might also collect images of you or stories about you, for example, if you have visited your sponsored child or attended one of our events.
We collect most personal information directly from you, for example:
- in forms or coupons filled out either online or in hard copy
- face to face
- via email
- via online surveys
- via social media messages or conversations
- during telephone conversations
- in voice or image recordings
Examples of when we might collect your personal information from others are:
- from parents/guardians/carers of children (or those who lack mental capacity)
- when we purchase marketing lists
Where we collect your personal information from someone else, we will take reasonable steps to let you know how we obtained this information.
Sometimes we will ask you for more detailed or sensitive information, which will only be collected with your consent, for example:
- when you apply for a criminal record check to enable you to visit your sponsored child
- about your associations with churches or your political and philosophical beliefs and values
If you choose not to provide us with certain personal information, we may not be able to meet your expectations. For example, we can’t issue a tax receipt or send you information about your sponsored child if we don’t have your name and address.
We will only collect and store your payment card information in compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard.